Whew! I am very pleased to have finished the Murphy school Mosaic Time line.
This is the 3rd year I’ve worked on it with the 6th graders.
I am continually impressed with the level of capability amongst so many of the students there.
This year we added 3 more eras:
The steps of the process were as follows:
All the students drew pictures of things representing something from one of the three time periods.
I chose some images and made life-size drawings.
After the mosaic was completely laid out students or I taped the whole thing.
Students applied mastic
Once everything was up, the students helped me with two more steps.
I had a student glue the actual time line “dashes” individually up onto the wall while the clear tape was being removed by other students
The last stage was the grouting. I put up an outline of blue tape around each mosaic to contain the grout and then I put down a drop cloth. (These drop tarps are great in that they are pre-taped and come on a dispenser roll!)
I choose to grout alone as it is too tricky to try to manage students at the same time- it is messy, requires a fair amount of skill and can cut one’s fingers. I wear latex gloves but they offer little protection.
In fact, now that I think of it, this is the first mosaic I have done where I have escaped without sliced fingertips! Yay! I must be getting better at this!
After using sponges to apply the grout using a kind of sweeping ‘S’ shaped movement to bring the grout into the cracks from various angles, I go back to the earliest piece that I grouted and hope that it has reached the “dusty” stage of dryness.
Lastly, I clean them off vigorously with paper “rags” and then remove the tape before the grout hardens completely. If I didn’t, the tape would actually get trapped under the hardened grout (it’s cement actually).